If you experience sudden, sharp and shooting joint pain occasionally when you climb stairs or go for a walk then it is not normal. Inflammation and joint pain due to excess weight is a major concern in India due to our sedentary lifestyle, wrong eating habits, wrong food types, stress, environmental toxins, poor diet and a lot more reasons. Hence, we are here to discuss everything that you need to know about arthritis, inflammation and joint pain and what you need to do for a complete cure.
For those of you who don’t have osteoarthritis or don’t experience any of these problems, don’t go away. Stay here as this article will help you lower your risk of developing osteoarthritis later in life.
|Lifelong Rechargeable Knee Massager||Price on Amazon.in|
|Weltime Full Body Massager||Price on Amazon.in|
|Hand Gloves for Numbness, Joint Pain, Swelling||Price on Amazon.in|
|Wonder Care Hinged Knee Cap/Brace Compression Support||Price on Amazon.in|
|HealthSense Toner-Pro Electric Handheld Full Body Massager||Price on Amazon.in|
|PowerMax Fitness TD-M1 Pre-installed Motorized Treadmill||Price on Amazon.in|
|COOBONS FITNESS Resistance Bands Set||Price on Amazon.in|
|Strauss Anti Skid Yoga Mat||Price on Amazon.in|
|Cardio Max by JSB Upright Exercise Bike||Price on Amazon.in|
|COCKATOO Smart Series Elliptical Cross Trainer||Price on Amazon.in|
|WOW Omega-3 Fish Oil Capsules – 1000 mg, 60 capsules||Price on Amazon.in|
|Tulsi California Walnuts Kernels – 200 grams||Price on Amazon.in|
|Swisse Ultiboost Vitamin D3 supplements – 90 tablets||Price on Amazon.in|
|MPIL Organic Turmeric Powder – 100 grams||Price on Amazon.in|
Major Reasons behind Inflammation and Joint Pain
When you experience conditions like swelling, pain, morning sickness (which lasts for more than an hour), tenderness and warmth in the joints, then you have inflammatory arthritis. The most common forms of inflammatory arthritis are psoriatic arthritis (PsA), rheumatoid arthritis (RA), gout, systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE, lupus) and ankylosing spondylitis (AS). Here is a section that will show you the major reasons that are responsible for giving rise to inflammation and joint pain.
Yes, obesity is one of the major reasons why people experience inflammation and joint pain. Being overweight increases your risk of developing issues with your joint or inflammation. When an individual has inflammatory arthritis, the cytokine levels are automatically high in that person’s body. But, obesity raises cytokine levels even more. In fact, studies and research have proved that obesity can lead to more severe and overactive psoriatic arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis (RA).
Plus, excess weight exerts additional pressure and stress on the weight-bearing joints such as the knees, back and feet. As well as on your ligaments, bones, and other parts of your musculoskeletal system. This, in turn, worsens the inflammation, stiffness and pain associated with joints, especially in the case of inflammatory arthritis. And it causes immobility too.
Losing weight is extremely important and is a must for relieving inflammation and joint pain. But, this is one part of your journey. In addition to losing weight, you need to follow some more tips for a permanent cure and a healthier lifestyle.
After obesity, the next thing to consider is bone erosion which is the second main reason behind inflammation and joint pain. Bone erosion is nothing but the loss of bone from disease processes. To be more precise, it is the loss of bone in a certain area, unlike osteoporosis where there is a change in bone density. The damaged and pitted bones in your joints can cause a lot of pain. For instance, erosive arthritis is an inflammation of the joints that involves bone destruction and these conditions include rheumatoid arthritis.
As we know, the ligament is the fibrous connective tissue that connects bones to other bones. In other words, ligaments are bands of flexible tissue that support the joint. And the effects of inflammation can damage these bands of flexible tissue. Most often, ligament damage occurs from a sports injury.
Another reason behind inflammation and joint pain is synovitis. It is the medical term for the inflammation of the synovial membrane. The synovial membrane lines the joints which possess cavities known as synovial joints. When the synovial membrane becomes inflamed, there is a release of chemicals that irritate the nerves and increase fluid in the joint.
Swollen Joint Capsule
When fluid builds in the joint from the inflamed synovium, this causes stiffness, pressure and pain. This is referred to as swollen joint capsule and is another reason for inflammation and joint pain.
When muscle strength reduces, more stress is put on the joints. And due to this additional stress, you experience inflammation and joint pain.
The chronic pain which you face due to inflammatory arthritis is long-lasting and sometimes this can make you more sensitive to pain.
Most often in the case of ankylosing spondylitis (AS), your vertebrae i.e the small bones that form the backbone may fuse together. Thus, making it more painful and harder to move.
Long Sitting Hours
Besides all these reasons and conditions, another major reason for inflammation and joint pain is sitting for prolonged hours. When you sit for long hours on your sofa or desk continuously, not only will your joints become stiff, but your muscles will also shorten. Muscle tightness in turn also increases stress on the joints which will increase the pain in those joints. Hence, you’ve got to move in between. Even you belong to Information Technology (IT) sector who finds it difficult to get up from the chair after regular intervals, it is mandatory to do that.
Wrong Eating Habits and Food Types
Firstly, indigestion gives rise to inflammation and joint pain. Therefore, you need to eat what suits you and avoid foods that aggravate the condition. Eat on time and try to eat slowly, avoid stress and anxiety while eating. Ulcerative colitis is a form of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). This can lead to swelling of joints and extreme pain. And the increased joint pain correlates to intestinal inflammation.
Unfortunately, one of the tastiest ingredients i.e. sugar tops the list of food items responsible for increasing joint and muscle inflammation. Research has revealed the fact that processed sugars release pro-inflammatory substances in the body. Thus, causing further inflammation in the joints. Similarly, refined carbs also lead to inflammation and joint pain. Like sugar, refined carbs also trigger the release of inflammatory “messengers” called cytokines and also increase your risk of heart diseases and diabetes.
Likewise, dairy products also give rise and aggravate inflammation and joint pain. This is due to the type of protein present in these dairy products which irritates the tissue around the joints and triggers pain. Lastly, alcohol and tobacco which we know are responsible for a number of health issues including joint pain. Those who smoke are at a higher risk of developing rheumatoid arthritis.
Managing Joint Pain
As a matter of fact, joint pain can affect any part of your body. Knee pain is the most common forms of joint pain followed by shoulder pain, hip pain and your ankles, feet and hands. As you age, joint pain and inflammation worsen. Joint pain and inflammation can range anywhere from mild to debilitating. If the pain goes away after a week then it is acute. But if it lasts for several weeks or months then it is chronic. However, even swelling and short term pain in the joints can affect the quality of your life.
Regardless of the cause for your joint pain, here are safe ways in which you can manage joint pain. That too you can use these devices in the comfort of your own home.
- 1.5 Hours of Cordless Usage: This knee massager by Lifelong is extremely convenient for usage on the go. Charging this massager fully requires 4.5 hours after which you can use it continuously without any interruption for almost 1.5 hours.
- 3 Massage (Different) Modes: Featuring 3 different massage modes i.e. heat, compression (air pressure), and vibration. Moreover, it offers you two heat temperatures, 45 degrees and 60 degrees.
- Portable and Compact: Due to its lightweight and compact nature, carrying this massager wherever you want to is possible. Additionally, this knee massager also comes along with a battery charger so you can charge the massager and use it anytime without any interruption. Besides these reasons, it is also hassle-free to operate.
- Vibration Modes: This massager is equipped with 2 vibration modes (steady and pulsating). And these are available in 5 levels. Also, you can make use of the air compression mode (30-50 Kpa) to get relief. That too by using it as per your requirement.
- Flexible Velcro Straps: A big thanks to these flexible and adjustable velcro straps as these help the massager fit you comfortably by keeping your size in mind. For a knee with a size of up to 50 cms, this massager fits comfortably as it secures firmly to your knee.
Additional Features of Lifelong Rechargeable Knee Massager
- Recommended for Muscle Soreness and Swelling: If you experience inflammation, knee injuries or swelling while running or because of intense sports then this knee massager is recommended for you. If at any time, you experience muscle soreness due to any injury then don’t worry since the nubs of the knee massager help in reducing it.
- High-Frequency Vibrations: This hi-tech massager emits high-frequency vibrations by directly targetting the areas where you experience pain and swelling.
- Well Suited for Age-Related Problems: With the help of this Lifelong knee massager, you can manage the discomfort and unbearable knee pain which is caused due to Osteoarthritis and Rheumatoid arthritis.
- Price: Lifelong Rechargeable Knee Massager is available for a price of around Rs. 5,000.
- Three Unique Attachments/Massage Heads: With these 3 unique attachments (smooth type, ball type and wave type), you can benefit all the massage benefits. These attachments help in targeting the specific needs of your body by relaxing your muscles, improving blood circulation, easing back and neck sores, and massaging your legs and feet.
- Breaks Down Unwanted Fat: Featuring a unique oscillating mechanism that penetrates deeply into the inner layers of your skin. Besides breaking down all the unwanted fat it also burns calories.
- Overall Benefits: This body massager helps in removing dead skin and calluses, shapes and tones the hips, slims and sculpts abs. As well as toning of the underarms, relieving muscle tension, and slenderizing of the legs.
- Adjustable Speed: You can adjust the speed as per your requirements to suit a specific part of your body. Therefore, you can choose how intense you want the massage to be.
- Price: Weltime full body massager is available for an estimated cost of Rs. 730.
- Rich in Copper: This pair of gloves are clinically proven for providing pain relief and are infused with the highest quality copper. This not only decreases the swelling, soreness and stiffness of muscles but also relieves joint pain. Additionally, this pair of gloves provides therapeutic warmth and increases blood circulation.
- High-Performance Technology: Additionally, these gloves are designed by Orthopedics for mobility and maximum comfort through high-performance technology.
- Open Finger Tips: Due to the open fingertips, the comfort level increases. Thus, it offers easy movement. Grasping any object becomes easier. To obtain soothing relief overnight, wear this pair of gloves at night while sleeping.
- Composition: Firstly, is copper which is anti-bacterial and anti-odour. With the help of advanced technology, the copper compression fibre is made which provides you relief from arthritis pain.
- Secondly, the FIR cotton which provides a thermal effect and also improves blood circulation.
- Thirdly, is Coolmax which offers smooth breathable wicking.
- Lastly, is spandex which offers high compression and support to joints.
- Keeps Skin Dry and Rash Free: A big thanks to the high-performance fabric. It protects your skin from rash and also keeps it dry. Moreover, this fabric also promotes faster recovery.
- Price: You can purchase this pair of hand gloves for yourself or your loves ones for a price of around Rs. 1,500.
- Lightweight and Washable: The fabric that is utilized in the making of this hinged knee cap compression support is lightweight, breathable, soft and washable. And it prevents rash and sweat.
- Ideal for Joint Pain Relief and Ligament Tear: This knee cap provides a uniform compression to your knees and provides joint pain relief and helps a torn ligament to recover faster. Both men, as well as women, can use this hinged knee cap.
- Free Flexion Movement: Equipped with hinge straps, this knee cap/knee brace ensures side splinting. And it also offers free flexion movement.
- Additional Straps: It comes with additional straps which provide a better grip. That too without restricting the blood circulation through the knee.
- Four-Way Stretchable Fabric: This knee support sleeve’s fabric is a four-way stretchable fabric. Thus, providing you with maximum comfort. It also has straps to add to your comfort.
- Protects the Meniscus: Wearing this knee brace proves essential as it will help you recover from a torn meniscus. Besides providing stability to the joint, it also prevents the injury from aggravating. Since this knee brace has hinges on either side, it prevents that wobbly feeling which you may get after a knee injury.
- Additional Benefits: Besides protecting the meniscus and collateral ligament, it provides relief from instability, knee arthritis, sprain and strain. You can also use it post-surgery and reduce osteoarthritis pain and recover from MCL, PCL, and ACL injury.
- Price: Get yourself this Wonder Care Hinged Knee Cap/Brace Compression Support for an estimated cost of Rs. 350.
- Four Multipurpose Heads: Equipped with 4 multipurpose heads, this massager offers you a good treatment in the convenience of your own home. It not only provides you relief from pain but also tones your muscles.
- The flat head is meant for muscle toning, face and abdomen. It offers a decompression and weight loss massage for the face and abdomen.
- The wavy head is meant for acupuncture points. It provides deep tissue massage to promote blood circulation.
- You can use the ball head with massage oils and the microfibre head for dead skin exfoliation. And it carefully removes callus from dry feet.
- Soft Protective Mesh Cover: The mesh cover avoids hair from getting trapped or entangled if used without the microfibre head. Moreover, it is soft and skin-friendly.
- Speed Regulation Knob: Thanks to the speed regulation knob. It helps you to control the speed and set it to the intensity that you require. Hence, you obtain an uninterrupted massage session right from low to advanced to suit your preferences.
- Powerful Copper Motor: The motor of this massager is made of copper. It is powerful and heavily built since it is surrounded by premium material (ABS and TPR).
Additional Features of HealthSense Toner-Pro Electric Handheld Full Body Massager
- Ergonomic: You can hold this massager comfortably without the fear of it slipping off from your hand. Thanks to its ergonomic handle.
- Maximum Portability: Its 1.6m cord is long and offers easy movement. This electrical cord is extra-long thus offering maximum portability as it can reach any chosen massage area.
- Red LED: The circle comprises 8 red LED lights and it is known to increase blood circulation and also enhance the effect of the massage. The benefit of this red light is the anti-ageing properties of the skin cells.
- Price: HealthSense Toner-Pro Electric Handheld full body massager is available for an approximate cost of Rs. 1,200.
How Excess Weight and Rapid Weight Gain Affects your Joints
As we have seen in the previous section that obesity is one of the major reasons for causing inflammation and joint pain and how it affects your knees, back and feet. Here is a further explanation. As a matter of fact, the stress exerted on your knees is equivalent to 1.5 times your body weight. This means that a person weighing 100 pounds exerts a pressure of 150 pounds on his knee joints. Similarly, a person weighing 200 pounds exerts 300 pounds of pressure. This occurs with every step that the person takes. Apart from this, obesity also hampers your recovery as it impacts the working mechanism of your medicines.
Also, people who are obese/overweight and have rheumatoid arthritis (RA) are less likely to achieve complete healing from RA in comparison to those individuals with a healthy (body mass index) BMI. So, if your body mass index (BMI) is 30 or higher than that then you are considered obese. Hence, losing weight and making lifestyle changes will definitely reduce the pressure on your joints. Start prioritizing healthy foods, vegetables, fruits, sound sleep, intake of water instead of carbohydrates, sugar, oily foods, and deep-fried food.
Your dietary decision and lifestyle define what you are. Also, increasing physical activity will help you lose those extra kilos and remain active. This, in turn, will help you reduce excess weight, relieve inflammation, and joint pain. Don’t forget that we rely on our joints to work sequentially or in order with the other parts of our musculoskeletal system. This keeps us active, mobile and agile.
Effective Techniques/Exercises to Reduce Inflammation and Joint Pain
We have penned down some of the effective techniques/exercises to reduce inflammation and joint pain. These exercises will help in strengthening the muscles responsible for supporting your knees and will also increase flexibility.
Before you begin all these effective techniques/exercises, you can ride a stationary bike for about 5 minutes. Next, you can take a brisk 2-minute walk, simultaneously pump your arms. If you are not comfortable doing this then you can do 15-20 wall push-ups followed by 15-20 calf raises. Doing this is very beneficial as it reduces your risk of getting injured, aids you in benefitting more out of your workout and also prepares you to stretch and get going with the other techniques.
2. Straight Leg Raises
If your knee is not in a very good condition. You know when it is not at its best. Begin with a simple strengthening exercise for your quadriceps. These are the muscles which are in front of the thigh. This simple strengthening exercise puts little to no strain on the knee. Firstly, lie on your back on the floor. Secondly, bend one knee and place your foot flat on the floor. While you do this, keep the other leg straight and raise it to the height of the opposite knee. Repeat this exercise 10-15 times for 3 sets.
3. Hamstring Curls
Hamstring curls are the muscles which are along the back of your thigh. You can do this exercise in a standing position as well as by lying flat on your stomach. We shall show you both the ways. Firstly, stand, hold on to a chair and lift one leg at a time. If this is easier for you then you can add ankle weights. Slowly increase the weight from 1 to 3 to 5 pounds. The other way to perform this exercise is by lying flat on your stomach. Once you lie flat, bring your heels as close as possible to your buttocks. Do this slowly and hold that position. Perform 3 sets of fifteen.
4. Prone Straight Leg Raises
With your legs straight, lie flat on your stomach. Next, you need to tighten the muscles in your bottom and also the hamstring of one leg and then lift it towards the ceiling. Hold your leg up for 3-5 seconds. Then lower your leg and repeat this procedure. Further, performs 10-15 lifts and then switch sides. As you gain strength, you can add ankle weights. Note that your back shouldn’t start aching. If it does then limit how high you lift your leg. Lower your leg a little and if it still aches then stop this particular exercise.
5. Calf Raises
Simply stand facing the back of a sturdy couch, a wall bar at the gym or any other support like the back of a sturdy chair. Another way out is to do this on the stairs holding on to the bannister with your heels. Or, you can do this hanging off the edge of the step. At a slow pace, raise your heels as high as you can and then lower them. Perform 3 sets of 10-15. When it gets easier, slightly lift one foot off the floor and with all your weight stand on the other foot.
Simply place one foot on a platform, step bench, or the lowest step on a staircase. Maintain the level of your pelvis. Then bend your knee and slowly lower the opposite foot to the floor. Touch your toe to the floor lightly and then rise back up. Repeat this procedure 10-15 times and then switch legs. If you found this too easy, then use a higher step or you can touch your heel instead of your toe.
7. Wall Squats
An effective exercise technique involving a more advanced move is wall squats. You need to keep your feet on the floor for this (about shoulder-width apart) and need to stand with your back against a wall. Next, bend your knees slowly and adjust your back and pelvis against the wall (like a sitting position). Stay in this position for 5-10 seconds. Also, keep in mind not to bend too much or too deeply. If you are experiencing discomfort or too much pressure in your knees then you need to change your position.
8. Knee-Friendly Cardio
Keep it as gentle as possible. Don’t workout vigorously which means you can’t perform any of the above techniques vigorously. Avoid high-impact exercises such as intense aerobics and running. Additionally, keep a track of what suits you. Generally, swimming, water aerobics and jogging in water are great options.
Besides all these exercises, you may also consider purchasing a treadmill for an effective workout in the comfort of your own home.
- High-Level Configuration: This treadmill is equipped with the 1.5 HP motor, LCD drive clip, MCU from ST Microelectronics, and a touching key clip from Taiwan Company. Additionally, it is also equipped with static wire from BASF Germany and IGBT LCD drive clip from Fairchild Semiconductor in US. This guarantees the quality of the hardware.
- Maximum User Weight Capacity: The maximum user weight capacity of the PowerMax Fitness treadmill is 100 Kgs. So, even if you weigh 75 Kgs or less you can opt for this treadmill as possessing an extra 25 Kgs buffer is recommended for the purpose of running (75+25=100).
- Hand and Heart Rate Monitoring: A big thanks to the built-in pulse sensor. It provides you with real-time data during your workout. The readings/results of this real-time data keep you informed whether you are in the ideal healthy heart zone or not.
- User-Friendly and Safe: Right from walking, to jogging to running, this treadmill is very user-friendly. Moreover, you can control the speed as and when you want to and you can also use the brake on the LED control panel to stop the treadmill.
- No Installation Required: PowerMax Fitness treadmill is pre-installed when delivered to you. You don’t need to fiddle with any screws or bolts. Since it is ready for action, simply plug and run this treadmill.
- Compact, Wide and Flat: Being compact in design and providing a wide running surface to the users. The users can train safely without any restriction on their running motion.
- This diamond wave treadmill belt, the commercial orthopaedic friendly 6-ply with the flat running surface is creatively designed and engineered to reduce the impact by up to 25% in comparison to training on a pavement or a road.
- Safety Key for Safe Running: Attach the safety clip to your clothes while running on a treadmill. You may run normally. If you fall or drift back dangerously on the treadmill then the treadmill will stop automatically. The auto-stop function also minimizes the risk of injury.
- Spring Shock Absorption and Double Layer Running Board: Instead of the traditional spring shock absorption, this treadmill utilizes the new spring shock absorption inspired by professional running shoes along with the double layer running board. This decreases the impact on the knees effectively while running.
- Price: Bring home this PowerMax Fitness TD-M1 Pre-installed motorized treadmill for an estimated cost of Rs. 25,000.
Special Weight Loss Exercises for Arthritis
We understand that joint pain caused due to arthritis and irritation in the knees creates an issue when you need to exercise. Thus, you tend to put on more weight. Don’t fret as we have listed all the special weight loss exercises for arthritis in this section. Hence, you don’t have to go anywhere else.
One of the best low impact and relaxing exercises to burn calories is walking. Walking at a moderate pace for 30-45 minutes everyday is mandatory. If it is not possible for you to go for a walk everyday, then go for at least five days a week and walk for half an hour. As a matter of fact, walking puts less pressure on the joints in comparison to running. Ensure you wear shoes/sneakers with cushion support.
Note that you should not walk with your toes facing out to the sides since this exerts more pressure on the inner portion of your knee joints. Also, when you walk on grassy surfaces it makes it easier for your knees to cope up as you walk. The best
Research has proved that the amount of muscle in your body tends to decrease as you get older. Fat slows down the ability of your body to burn calories. In fact, fat accounts for more of your weight. On the other hand, muscles burn more calories compared to fat which is why developing muscles is essential. If you have noticed that the amount of muscle in your body is decreasing or has decreased, then you can build up muscle through strength training. This will boost your body’s ability to burn more calories.
Additionally, developing muscles also benefit an arthritic knee as it increases your body’s ability to absorb shock to your joints. Some of the best strengthening exercises include resistance band training, lifting weights and using weight machines at the gym.
Using resistance bands is an excellent way of beginning resistance training as these help you in experiencing the benefits of weight lifting.
- Cost-effective Workout: Besides helping you benefit a cost-effective workout in the comfort of your own home, these resistance bands will also help you add variety to your movements.
- Upper + Lower Body: The best part about resistance bands is that it offers benefits to your upper as well as lower body.
- Develops Muscles: Mainly, resistance bands help in developing and building muscles in the chest and the triceps.
- Increases Blood Flow and Stimulates Muscles: Furthermore, these resistance bands also increase the blood flow to the muscle. This, in turn, stimulates the muscles.
- Suits Every Fitness Level: This set of resistance bands is creatively designed to activate your entire body regardless of your fitness level. Also, these resistance bands are applicable to various exercise types.
- Package: This package comprises 5 resistance bands where the yellow resistance bands weigh 10 lbs, the red ones weigh 20 lbs, blue ones weigh 30 lbs, green ones weigh 40 lbs and black resistance bands weigh 50 lbs.
- Additionally, this package comprises 1 door anchor, 3 resistance loop bands, 1 bands guard, 2 cushioned handles, 2 ankle straps, 1 user manual, 1 travel pouch, 1 eight-shaped band.
Additional Features of COOBONS FITNESS Resistance Bands Set
- Sturdy: 100% high-grade natural latex is what makes this material sturdy.
- Maximum Equivalence (150 lbs): Making use of these resistance bands individually or stacking it into a combination of some or all these resistance bands is totally up to you.
- Nylon Pad Material: The ankle straps and the door handles are upgraded with nylon pad material. Thus, protecting the material of the bands and also your skin.
- Convenient Travel Pouch: This package comes with a convenient travel pouch. It helps you in carrying your bands to the gym, you can also carry them along if you are on a vacation. And you can also take it to your office.
- Price: COOBONS FITNESS Resistance Bands Set is available for an estimated cost of Rs. 14,200.
Yoga is known for years to alleviate inflammation in your knee joints. It helps in burning calories and helps you lose weight if practised consistently. Have you heard of a stress chemical known as cortisol? Well, the chemical cortisol contributes to weight gain. The good news is that practising yoga on a daily basis can lower cortisol levels in your body and manage stress. Studies have also revealed that women who practise yoga on a daily or weekly basis naturally lower the levels of interleukin-6 in their blood. For those of you who are not familiar with this term, Interleukin-6 is a protein that causes inflammation.
As we know by now that inflammation plays a central role in swelling, pain and stiffness associated with arthritic joints. Additionally, yoga also aids in strengthening your muscles and contributes to improving flexibility thus helping you achieve all your goals and to keep you going with all your activities.
- Anti-Skid and Non-Slip Formula: A perfect yoga mat that can be used by kids, adults as well as senior citizens. It is recommended for yoga and other floor exercises due to its anti-skid and non-slip nature that too on both sides of the mat. Additionally, it provides padding and support regardless of your posture on the mat.
- Easy to Store and Maintain: Once you are done with your workout, you can easily roll this yoga mat within seconds and store it in one corner of your home.
- Easy to Clean: A big thanks to the high-quality material and moisture resistant technology. This makes the yoga mat easy to clean as it is washable with soap and water. So, you don’t have to worry if your yoga mat gets stained or dirty.
- Tear Resistant and Waterproof: This yoga mat is durable enough thus it can withstand vigorous exercises. You don’t have to worry about the yoga mat wearing and tearing off. Additionally, it is also waterproof.
- Comfort at its Best: Due to its ideal thickness, high-density foam material and optimal cushioning, this yoga mat provides comfort to your spine, joints, hips, knees and elbows. So you can workout by being comfortable throughout.
- Reversible: Another benefit of this yoga mat is that it is reversible (double-sided). This reversible nature increases your yoga mat’s lifespan.
- Price: You can purchase the Strauss Anti Skid Yoga Mat for yourself and your loved ones for a price of around Rs. 550.
Well, water aerobics makes a great impact on your body especially if you experience joint pain and knee pain since it strengthens your muscles and helps you lose weight. Water plays a major role in unweighting your joints since it enables you to move more freely without experiencing the impact of hard ground surfaces that tends to put stress on inflamed knee joints. You may also use water weights and assistive equipment if you wish to for additional help. Additionally, you may also try walking in the pool for an additional workout.
When you swim, it plays a great role in addressing the range of motion of your arms and legs. It is a great aerobic exercise as it reduces the impact on your joints. Hence, it offers you the additional benefit of utilising the water’s buoyancy. Moreover, swimming strengthens your leg muscles which in turn protects your knees throughout the day.
Running outdoors can irritate your knees. Hence, using an exercise bike is a good alternative to running and also to help you burn calories. Health experts suggest using an exercise bike 5-6 times a week for at least 30 minutes. And you will notice an improvement in your condition and overall health. Additionally, an exercise bike also addresses the range of motion in your hips, knees and ankles which is much needed because arthritis affects it.
For a safe workout and best results, ensure you adjust the resistance to mild and moderate only. Also, vary your speed and ensure you don’t roll in or roll out your knees while pedalling. Rolling in or rolling out your knees can strain your knees which is why you need to be mindful.
- Smooth Workout Experience: The Cardio Max by JSB is a magnetic upright exercise bike with 4Kg flyweight as well as 3 cranks. Thus offering you a smooth workout experience.
- Compact: Since it is compact, you can store this exercise bike with ease after usage. Its space-saving design is a plus point.
- Foldable: Besides its compact nature, this exercise bike is easy to fold. Hence, you can fold it and keep it in one corner of your home after you finish working out.
- LCD Display: You can keep track and view your speed, time, distance covered on the LCD display.
- Maximum Weight Capacity: This exercise bike can easily accommodate an individual weighing 100 Kgs.
- Safe to Use: The foot pedals of this exercise bike are non-skid or anti-skid thus preventing you from falling off the bike. Moreover, these foot pedals come with adjustable foot straps. Additionally, this exercise bike also comes with backrest support and back handles.
- Benefits: Besides helping you lose weight and burn calories effectively, it also improves the range of motion. Plus, it benefits your arms, abs, hip, thighs, knee, calf and foot. Not to forget that it lowers blood pressure and improved blood circulation.
- Price: Bring home the Cardio Max by JSB Upright Exercise Bike for an estimated cost of Rs. 13,000.
Elliptical Cross Trainer
Lastly, you can try High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) to trim abdominal fat. However, this depends upon your fitness level. Generally, High-Intensity Interval Training performs short bursts of exercise at a high-intensity level followed by a lower intensity level that is longer. The best thing that you can do is purchase an elliptical cross trainer since it won’t hurt your knees and will help you achieve your target.
- Foot Pedals: The foot pedals are textured and fixed-inclined and are creatively designed to provide stability and maximum grip.
- Pedal Incline: While using this elliptical cross trainer, you will experience a pedal incline of up to 12.82 degrees. It adjusts to the natural movement of your feet automatically.
- Resistance Levels: Increasing or decreasing the magnetic resistance level is easy to do with a simple twist. Moreover, 8 levels of magnetic resistance help you to intensify your exercise.
- Full Motion Handle Bars: While working out, grasp the full motion handle bars, to engage the muscles in your arms, shoulders, back and chest.
- 6-Inch LCD Monitor: As you workout, simultaneously, you can glance at the LCD monitor to track the speed, calories burned, distance, heart rate, rotations per minute and total time.
- Stride Length: When you rotate your legs along this 15.75-inch stride length, you can stimulate the muscles in your lower body.
- Maximum Weight Capacity and Height Accommodation: Without any hassle, a person weighing maximum 120 Kgs can use this elliptical cross trainer. Similarly, it can easily accommodate a person of height ranging between 160-195 cms.
- Technology: The magnetic resistance and magnetic mechanism provide the user a smooth, interruption-free and quiet workout session.
- Price: COCKATOO Smart Series Elliptical Cross Trainer is available for a price of around Rs. 18,000.
Weight Loss Tips to Relieve Joint Pain and Arthritis
As a matter of fact, weight loss is a proven treatment to relieve joint pain and arthritis. However, only a few people are serious about this because some people consider this as a big challenge. Well, if you belong to this category, then don’t fret, as we have penned down the best ways in which you can successfully achieve weight loss and maintain your weight.
1. Cook Meals Right from Scratch
When you cook meals from scratch, you can avoid most of the preservatives, trans fats and also unnecessary additives and sugar which are present in processed foods. Studies and research have revealed that preservatives and additives are associated with obesity and inflammation which in turn is responsible for joint pain.
2. Get Rid of One Bad Habit
Sugar is inflammatory. Hence, eliminating any sweet or sugary food items such as chocolates, cookies, ice creams, cakes, desserts, soft drinks and more from your regular diet can make a big difference over time. For instance, whenever you get the urge of consuming any carbonated beverage to quench your thirst or if you are habituated to drinking it, consider drinking water. Also, if you are craving for any sweet or muffin, you can eat fruit instead.
3. Burn Calories Every Day
Reducing calorie intake is one of the most reliable and best ways to lose weight. However, burning calories every single day can help you lose weight more efficiently. Swimming, hitting the gym and performing water aerobics were proven in the past to be reliable and effective methods for burning calories. However, there are other ways too. Some of these ways include gardening, going for a walk every day, performing yoga, stretching in your living room or anywhere out will help in burning more calories rather than sitting still.
4. Increase your Water and Fiber Intake
You need to drink 12 glasses of water daily. Sometimes, mild dehydration makes you feel more hungry. So, instead of grabbing some snacks, drink some water and see if your cravings subside. Staying hydrated is mandatory as it helps you manage your weight and appetite and also boosts energy.
When you start consuming fiber every day, you will notice that you feel full for longer hours after eating fibrous foods. This, in turn, decreases your cravings for high-calorie food. Therefore, eating high-fiber food items is advisable for losing weight and reducing your cravings.
It takes longer for fibrous foods to digest. Although, the time taken for the food to get digested varies from person to person. Generally, fibrous foods like vegetables and fruits require more time to break down in the stomach and the large intestine. Therefore, people feel full for longer hours after eating vegetables and fruits. Ever noticed that you feel hungry too soon when you eat any baked items and candies like cookies and crackers? You feel it is not sufficient or you want to eat some more after about an hour or two. That is because these items get digested quickly.
Additionally, fibrous foods contain fewer calories compared to baked items, cookies and candies, yet these fill you up. Or, in other words, fibrous foods take-up more space in your stomach. On the other hand, a sugary granola bar and a candy bar can range from 180 to 300 calories. As a matter of fact, a large vegetable salad can be very filling but is less than 100 calories. Shocking right? Also, a cup containing uncooked leafy greens has less than 10 calories. Note that adding croutons, bacon bits, heavy dressings and candied nuts add several hundred calories.
5. Don’t Sleep Immediately After Dinner & Don’t Eat Anything Before Going to Bed
First and foremost, it is mandatory to follow this rule of not sleeping immediately after dinner. You need to keep a gap of at least 2 hours after you have dinner. For instance, if you intend on going to bed by 11 pm, then you need to finish your dinner by 9 pm. Additionally, you need to stop all your “after-dinner” snacks.
As a matter of fact, putting an end to late-night eating habits is an easier alternative to losing weight and will also solve half of your health problems. The reason behind this is that it helps the body to digest and metabolize food. Additionally, it helps you get rid of all the unnecessary calories through this approach. Moreover, the metabolic and digestive system of the human body work more efficiently during the day.
6. Eat Fatty Fish
Ensure you consume fatty fish such as sardines, salmon, herring, trout, mackerel, branzino and anchovy. These foods contain the most active forms of Omega-3 fatty acids. Hence, all these fish top the list of the anti-inflammatory food chain. Also, eating more fish can be associated with reduced joint inflammation in patients with Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA). Now, if you are a vegetarian and don’t consume fish then you will have to opt for flax seeds, chia seeds, walnuts and oil. Although these options are less potent than fish, they are a must for every vegetarian.
7. Move your Body Throughout the Day
As a matter of fact, continuously sitting or standing for prolonged hours without moving your body can actually worsen the arthritis symptoms. In fact, it is one of those negative cycles. Therefore, not moving the joint will actually make it more painful. Research and studies have proved that even a little bit of exercise and moving your body decreases the pain. Yes, any sort of exercise helps in lubricating the joints and also maintains function. You can consider a creaky door hinge. If you leave it like that, it gets worse and worse and becomes stiffer. However, if you add a little oil to this door hinge and move it back and forth, then it gets better.
8. Avoid French Fries
French fries are not at all good for people with joint pain, inflammation and arthritis. The reason is that these crispy potato chips make you gain more weight. Besides french fries, the other deep-fried foods contain unhealthy saturated and trans-fats which may promote inflammation.
9. Use Avocado Oil
Consider switching to avocado oil since it helps in fighting inflammation by providing healthy fats. Apart from avocado oil, olive oil is another great option. You can make use of olive oil in salads and avocado oil for cooking. Limit the use of palm kernel oil and coconut oil as these are high in saturated fat.
Anti-inflammatory Supplements and Foods
Here are some of the best anti-inflammatory supplements and food products to relieve inflammation and joint pain. We bet, you won’t regret purchasing these products. Besides relieving inflammation and joint pain, these products also strengthen your immune system and help you carry out your day to day tasks.
WOW Omega-3 Fish Oil Capsules (1000 mg, 60 Capsules)
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Omega-3 fatty acids are a group of about 11 fatty acids. These are a good type of fat and have numerous health benefits. Since the body can’t make these fatty acids on its own, these are referred to as the essential fatty acids.
- Omega-3 fatty acids are needed for various physiological processes such as inflammatory response, cardiac and brain function.
- Additionally, these lower the risk of arthritis, dementia, heart disease and depression.
- Aids in Improving Bone and Joint Health: By increasing the calcium in your bones, these Omega-3 fish oil capsules improve your bone strength and joints. This pack comprises 60 capsules and this brand offers you 3-4 times more of the important Omega-3s.
- Beneficial for Cognitive Health: These capsules support the nervous system efficiently which in turn improves nerve health. Providing you with a healthy mind.
- Improves Cardiovascular Health: Regular intake of these Omega-3 fish oil capsules aid in lowering cholesterol and also triglyceride levels.
- Enteric Coating: A big thanks to the entering coating of these fish oil capsules as they don’t leave a fishy aftertaste and also increase the absorption of the essential fatty acids.
- Offers Lubrication to Joints: Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) are two of the most important Omega-3 fatty acid types. These capsules contain the optimal 3:2 EPA: DHA ratio. WOW Omega-3 fish oil capsules aid in keeping the joints mobile through proper lubrication. Additionally, it improves the structure of your skin and provides it with a healthy glow.
- Dosage Timing: Well, you need to take one capsule in the morning and one capsule in the evening. Ensure you drink ample water (3 litres a day). In addition, you need to consume a healthy fat-rich meal.
- No Additives or Fillers: These fish oil capsules are ultra-pure as they are totally free of fillers, binders or additives. Moreover, these are mercury-free, burpless and are also ideal for people following a keto diet.
- Price: You can purchase the WOW Omega-3 fish oil capsules for a price of around Rs. 900.
Tulsi California Walnuts Kernels (200 grams)
- Heart Health: Walnuts are a rich source of fiber, minerals, healthy fats and vitamins. Additionally, walnuts contribute to keeping your heart healthy. They are also a rich source of antioxidants and energy.
- Keeps you Full For a Long Time: Walnuts are a combination of protein, healthy fats, and fiber. These not only satisfy you but also keep you full for longer hours.
- Healthy Brain and Digestive System: For healthy and excellent functioning of your digestive system, you need to eat these walnuts. For ancient years, walnuts are known to be a saviour to your brain as they improve concentration, memory and also information processing speed. They are excellent for your brain and support good functioning.
- Right Way to Consume: Ensure you soak these walnuts at night. On an empty stomach, first thing in the morning, you need to munch them. Consuming 2 walnuts daily is a good habit.
- Storage: It is necessary to store these walnuts in a cool and dry place.
- Ideal Breakfast Option: The next best way to consume walnuts is by adding them to your breakfast. Consider adding a few soaked walnuts into your breakfast cereal. You can also add these walnuts to a bowl of oats. If you don’t want to have them for breakfast, then you can have them mid-morning in college or office.
- Strengthens the Immune System: Walnuts are a source of Vitamin B6, hence they strengthen the immune system and also support nerve health.
- Can Be Added To Your Snacks: You can add walnuts to your salads, soups, pasta and baked goods.
- Price: You can purchase the Tulsi California Walnuts Kernels for a price of around Rs. 340.
Swisse Ultiboost Vitamin D3 Supplement – 90 tablets
Since 50 years, Swisse has sustainably sourced premium quality and successfully effective ingredients from around the world. Thus, possessing the capability to make millions of people around the world happier and healthier.
- Increases Calcium Absorption: Vitamin D is essential for the absorption of calcium. In fact, it plays a major role in increasing the absorption of calcium. Generally, Vitamin D3 is retained in the bloodstream more efficiently and effectively in comparison to Vitamin D2 (synthetic).
- Supports Muscle Health: Vitamin D aids in supporting muscle health and functioning.
- Dosage: You need to consume one tablet daily, either during a meal or immediately after a meal. It is better if you take the recommendation of a health care professional. Ensure you don’t exceed the recommended daily usage and drink sufficient water.
- Supports your Body’s Natural Immune Response: Besides maintaining general health and function, Vitamin D also supports the body’s natural immune response. Lack of adequate Vitamin D in the body leads to several infections, autoimmune problems, complications in pregnancy and cardiovascular issues. The Vitamin D3 that is present in these Vitamin D supplements helps your body to fight against all these.
- Doesn’t Contain: Swisse Ultiboost Vitamin D3 capsules don’t contain artificial colours or flavours, added yeast, gluten, lactose as well as no egg.
- Bones + Teeth + Muscles: As a matter of fact, Vitamin D3 is more absorbable than Vitamin D2. This supports healthy bone density as well as healthy teeth. Vitamin D enhances your fitness levels by increasing the calcium absorption rate directly. Therefore, it improves muscle health as well.
- Price: Swisse Ultiboost Vitamin D3 supplements are available for an estimated cost of Rs. 650.
MPIL Organic Turmeric Powder (100 grams)
- Doesn’t Contain Artificial Sugar: This turmeric powder is 100% health oriented due to the efforts of the MPIL brand. Additionally, this product derives its flavours from the essence of Cinnamon and is derived with zero added sugar.
- 2000X Potency: Curcuminoids is the active ingredient of turmeric. The addition of black pepper increases the absorption of curcuminoids by 2000 times.
- Excellent Post Workout Beverage: Since this organic turmeric is enriched with the goodness of ginger, it has immense anti-inflammatory properties that aids in reducing muscle soreness.
- Overall Benefits: The refined age old turmeric contains an immense medicinal value. It is mainly known for being rich in anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Besides strengthening your immune system, turmeric also improves your gut health, nourishes skin and relaxes pain and inflammation.
- Healthier Heart: Turmeric helps in lowering cholesterol. Additionally, it helps in reducing anxiety due to its adaptogenic properties. This, in turn, is very effective for heart health.
- Pure: Unlike MPIL, most of the turmeric products that are available in the stores and market are capsule formulated. So, when you take it with water, the efficacy of turmeric gets diminished. Don’t fret, this doesn’t happen in the case of MPIL organic turmeric powder as this is different from the others.
- Price: Bring home the MPIL Organic Turmeric Powder for an estimated cost of Rs.330.
Don’ts for Your Knee
Note that muscle soreness after a vigorous or hard workout is normal. However, any sudden, sharp, or shooting pain in the joints and the muscles indicates that you need to stop that particular exercise and consult your doctor. This also implies if you are afraid that working out could worsen your knee pain or lead to more damage. It is better to consult your doctor either ways. In other words, exercise should only improve your condition and not worsen it.
Trust the Process
Regardless of whether you have arthritis or not, you need to maintain a healthy weight. You are what you eat. Hence, you need to trust the process and don’t overdo anything or overeat and most important don’t rush. Anything excess is bad. Eating a variety of vegetables (especially green leafy) and fruits is mandatory. Additionally, you need to consume whole grains and opt for low-fat dairy products and lean protein.
And the most important thing is you need to have balanced meals, watch your portions, sleep for 7-8 hours, exercise daily and drink 10-12 glasses of water every day. Eliminate all processed foods or reduce them as much as you can. Get rid of your sedentary life and watch your health improve. You may check out some great knee massager options if you wish to for an added choice to get relief from osteoarthritis.