Knee pain is the second most common ache after lower back pain. The best knee massager for Arthritis is your therapist if you’re suffering the pains that come with injuries, sports, ageing and the wears and tears of daily life. As a matter of fact, as people age, their knees often fall victims to strains and sprains. This results in terrible and unbearable pain. Your knees are your body’s primary weight bearers. This indicates that they often take up more load of activity which you don’t realise.
You only realise it as you start experiencing knee pain or once you start aging. Knee related issues are not always common with old people. Teens also often experience knee pain. A common cause is that it may result due to an injury. This injury may result in a ruptured ligament or torn cartilage, thus resulting in the knee pain. Hence, purchasing the best knee massager for Arthritis will save your knees in time.
Best Knee Massager for Arthritis – Quick List
|Knee Massager||Benefits||Check |
|JSB Hf124 Professional |
|Relief from swollen knees, and arthritis joint pain|
Loosens stiff muscles and relaxes them
Soothes irritated nerves and body stiffness
Also suitable for use in the shoulder area.
Cures frozen shoulder
|Price in |
|Lifelong Rechargeable |
|Reduces arthritis pain,|
Swelling in the knees,
Reduces Edema and stiffness in the body
Suitable for frozen shoulder,
Age-related soreness & pains,
Sports-related muscle strain.
|Price in |
|JSB HF60 Shiatsu |
Leg Foot Massager
|Relief from knee, thigh, calf.|
Relaxing vibration for feet, ankles, calves and thighs.
|Price in |
|Robotouch Classic Plus Massager||Provides relief from knee pain,|
and foot pain,
stimulates the reflex points,
Kneads the thighs and calves
|Price in |
Types of Knee Massagers
Knee Wrap Massager
A knee wrap massager is a type of “wrapped type” knee massager made of premium materials and advanced technology. You can use it specifically only on the knee. Most of these knee wrap massagers include 3 main functions. They are phototherapy, heating, and vibration. In addition to this, they consist of 3 to 4 modes. These modes vary from product to product.
These type of knee wrap massagers are ideal for your joints and knees. So, if you’re experiencing pain only in your knees, then purchase a knee massager specifically only for your knees. The best massager machine for knee pain in India will relieve you from knee and joint pain. Further, it will accelerate blood circulation, and relieve muscle or joint stiffness.
Leg and Calf Massagers that Extend to Knee
Some leg and calf massagers offer you the option of using it on your knees too. Although you’re a very active person, a leg and calf massager is a must if you are a frequent runner. Additionally, if you’re an athlete then consider buying a leg and calf massager that extends to your knee. These type of massagers have the capability to improve postural alignment as well.
These massagers are expensive but worth it as the other members of your house can use it. Not just you, but aged people too can benefit from this massager. The more they age, the more the complications. It will loosen and relax the leg muscles that are sore by bad posture. This, in turn, will allow the body to position itself in its natural form. Further, it will help reduce pain and improve the range of motion.
- Heating + Vibration Therapy: This therapy is great for the knee and shoulder area. It is a perfect solution for joint pain relief, swollen knees or frozen shoulders.
- Exerts the Right Amount of Pressure: This JSB knee massager will exert the right amount of pressure on your knee. Therefore, this will relieve you from that throbbing feeling.
- Relief from Arthritis Joint Pain: The JSB knee massager is best for arthritis joint pain. It gives you instant pain relief. Additionally, it treats swelling in the knees.
- Alter the Temperature Level: You can choose the temperature level as per your requirement in this knee massager. Moreover, it offers a temperature setting for old people as well as those with injuries due to sports.
- Price: This JSB professional massager is available for a price of around Rs. 7,000.
- Flexible Velcro Wraps: Lifelong Rechargeable massager has an adjustable velcro wrap that you can adjust according to your fit and comfort. Further, it comfortably fits your knee by securing firmly to fit the knee size of up to 50 cm.
- 3 Different Massage Modes: This massager comes with 3 different modes. They are compression, heat and vibration. It offers you 2 heat temperatures 45 degrees and 60 degrees.
- Modes of Vibration: It consists of 2 modes of vibration i.e steady and pulsating which are available in 5 levels. Additionally, the air compression mode (30-50 Kpa) can be used as per preference to get relief.
- 1.5 Hours of Cordless Usage: A rechargeable battery makes this massager convenient to use on the go. This battery enables charging the massager fully in 4.5 hours. Hence, you can use it for 1.5 hours without any interruption.
- Compact and Portable: Lifelong Knee Massager is compact and lightweight, thus making it easy to operate and portable. A battery charger is available with this massager. Therefore, you can use it anytime and anywhere.
- Suitable for Age-Related Problems: This massager helps you manage the unbearable knee pain and discomfort caused due to Rheumatoid and Osteoarthritis. It works on targetted areas to reduce stiffness and pain.
- Suitable for Swelling and Muscle Soreness: If you have knee injuries, inflammation, or swelling due to intense sports and running then this massager is a must for you. The nubs help in reducing muscle soreness which can be caused due to any injury.
- Price: Lifelong Rechargeable Knee Massager is available approximately for Rs. 5,000.
- Vibration Massage: The vibration mode on the soles of this massager along with the roller massage add on to your relaxation experience.
- Air Bag Compression Massage: This leg foot massager machine for knee, thigh, and calf gives you relief from pain. It does this with the help of the heat offering airbag compression massage.
- Removable and Washable Fabric Cover: The fabric cover is easy to maintain as you can remove it as and when you want. Further, it can be washed without any hassle.
- Price: JSB HF60 Leg Foot massager is available for around Rs. 30,000.
- Organic Combination: The organic combination of kneading, heat therapy and foot rollers reflects your massage experience immensely.
- Air Bag Massage: The built-in high-quality airbags deliver a comprehensive massage. The 30 airbags provide both pain alleviation and complete relaxation, thus making the massage therapeutic in nature.
- 20 Active Sole Rollers: The active rollers stimulate the reflex points.
- Kneading and Rolling Combo: This massager has an inbuilt high power combination of kneading and rolling. It provides you with an ultimate massage experience. Additionally, this combo provides relief from pain and stress.
- Price: Robotouch Classic Plus Massager is available for around Rs. 29,400.
Reasons for Knee Pain
Knee Pain can be caused by the different types of arthritis, injuries, mechanical problems and more.
Rheumatoid Arthritis in Old Age
In Rheumatoid Arthritis, the body’s immune system attacks its own tissue including joints. Rheumatoid Arthritis is an autoimmune condition that can affect almost any joint in your body. It is the most debilitating (weakening) form of arthritis and affects the knees in most cases. In severe cases, it attacks the internal organs.
Exposure to certain types of bacteria, such as those associated with periodontal disease are factors that may trigger Rheumatoid Arthritis. In addition to this, smoking cigarette, obesity and trauma or injury can also cause this disease. Quitting smoking and reducing alcohol intake can prevent rheumatoid arthritis.
General Joint Pains in Old Age
Joint pain is very common in old people. It fluctuates in frequency over time. Normally, injury affecting the ligaments or tendons surrounding the joints causes joint pain. Secondly, the lack of calcium plays a major role too. Further, it is strongly linked to psychological factors as well as disability. Improvisation of the quality of life of older people can reduce joint pains.
Exposing your skin to the sun gives you Vitamin D supplement. As a matter of fact, Vitamin D enhances calcium absorption. It is also found in foods like cereals, salmons, and crimini mushrooms. Drink enough milk as you can’t have healthy joints without having healthy bones. Calcium is also found in cheese, leafy greens and yoghurt.
Swelling and Muscle Soreness with Runners or Sports Related
Some sports put greater stress on your knees. Alpine skiing with its rigid ski boots has a potential for falls. In addition to this, the basketballs jump and pivots add to this issue. Moreover, the repetitive pounding that your knees take when you run or jog. All this increases your risk of a knee injury.
The nubs of the knee massager can help in reducing muscle soreness which can be caused due to any injury. You can exercise your upper extremities. Further, you can do lower extremity exercises like swimming or aqua jogging. This will not aggravate the problem.
Muscle Sourness if you are Overweight
If you are overweight then this indicates more impact on your joints and knees. Firstly, excess weight puts more stress on weight-bearing joints, the knee being the primary weight bearer. Secondly, the inflammatory factors associated with weight gain leads to trouble in other joints such as your hands.
Increasing physical activity and exercising can help you shed weight. Moreover, it has many health benefits too. High impact sports like tennis with low or no impact activities like swimming and yoga will help you.
How to Choose the Right Knee Massager
Yes, identifying and choosing the right knee massager is of utmost importance. In this section, I have penned down all the factors for you to help you purchase the best knee massager for Arthritis.
Compactness and Portability
One of the most important factor to consider is the compactness and portability. I’m sure you won’t desire a knee massager that’s heavy, difficult to use and store. The best thing you can do is purchase a knee massager for yourself that is compact, lightweight and portable. This will help you use it comfortably without any hassle. If it’s portable then you can carry it along with you wherever you need it.
While purchasing the best knee massager for Arthritis, keep the heating feature/function in mind. The heating function is an added advantage since the heat promotes blood circulation and provides warmth to your knees in seconds. In addition to relieving knee pain associated with chronic Arthritis, it also relieves muscle soreness and cramps.
Further, it aids in recovering knee injuries and speedy recovery from surgery. Since it helps you adjust the heat settings to suit your preferences and requirements. You can control the temperature and set it to low, medium or high.
Only Knee or Foot Massager also
Unlike a knee massager that can be used only on your knees. A knee+foot massager is anytime better as it works on your knees as well as feet. Our knees and feet are weight-bearing organs, hence a regular massage is essential. Moreover, if in the near future you feel that you want to purchase a foot massager then you will end up with 2 separate massagers since you already have the knee massager. Thus, you will need more space to store both these massagers. However, if you feel that you won’t need a foot massager then you can opt for only a knee massager.
Although cordless massagers are expensive, they offer you flexibility and hassle-free experience. Unlike a corded massager which restricts you to certain areas as you need to plug it into a power source. Without plugging a corded massager into a power source, you can’t use it. Whereas you can move around with the cordless one as and when you want to use it.
Keep your budget in mind while purchasing a massager for yourself. If your budget is around 15-20K, then consider purchasing a knee+foot massager. Else, you can opt for a knee massager only.
Heat Vs Cold for Knee Pain
Note that applying heat or cold to the affected joints is an easy and inexpensive way to treat Arthritis related pains and aches. However, when exactly to use hot and when to use cold is what confuses people. Don’t fret, I have put forth this detailed section to help you with the same.
Firstly, heat relaxes the muscles and helps in lubricating the joints. Hence, heat therapy is useful in relieving muscle and joint stiffness. And it also helps warm up the joints before any activity or to ease a muscle spasm.
On the other hand, cold reduces swelling, inflammation, and pain that’s related to Arthritis and activity. Further, cold is highly recommended to treat many acute injuries.
When and How to Alternate between Heat and Cold
Generally, doctors and medical professionals encourage patients to use heat therapy before any physical therapy exercise. They advise the patients to do so to warm up the joints. And after exercise, they advise them to use cold therapy. Additionally, a person can make use of heat therapy in the morning to loosen up an Osteoarthritis knee. A few hours later, they can use cold therapy to reduce swelling. This process is safe to repeat about thrice a day.
Furthermore, cold therapy is recommended for certain types of Arthritis which cause painful inflammation flares. These include gout and pseudogout. Also, people suffering from other types of Arthritis such as Rheumatoid Arthritis, and Osteoarthritis. As well as ankylosing arthritis and more might benefit from the same.
Also, it is advisable to stick to the therapy that best suits you if you suffer from Osteoarthritis. If you suffer from severe or extremely chronic Osteoarthritis then consult your doctor before trying out the heat & cold therapies.
Application of Heat to an Arthritic Joint
Firstly, heat therapy should be warm, not hot. Also, it shouldn’t burn the skin or be painful. Additionally, effective heat therapy provides a constant temperature for an extended period of time. But for how long should you apply this heat? Well, the application time depends on the location of the pain. In order to be effective and promote a speedy recovery. The heat needs to penetrate deep into the affected muscles and joint tissues. If the heat therapy session is too short then it will only warm the skin and not the affected tissues.
If you’re facing minor to moderate pain in joints that are close to the skin’s surface. These joints include the ankle or elbow then you need only 15 to 20 minutes of heat therapy. Moderate to severe Arthritis in the hip or lower back is considered more intense or deeper injuries. Hence, a session of 30-45 mins is required. However, note that you are not supposed to use heat when the joint is bruised or swollen. Instead, you should use a cold pack or ice to reduce the swelling.
Health Benefits of Heat Therapy
- Heals Damaged Tissues: Firstly, heat therapy helps in healing damaged tissues. Warmth makes the blood vessels of the muscle to dilate.
- This increases the flow of the oxygen and nutrients to the muscles.
- Generally, cartilage can’t be regrown. But heat may help in repairing the other damaged tissues.
- Decreases Joint Stiffness: Warmth increases the flexibility of the muscles and the connective tissue. This, in turn, increases joint flexibility and decreases the joint stiffness.
- Stimulates Joint Fluid: Warming the joint, gentle bending and flexing can spur joint fluid (synovial fluid) production. This increases joint lubrication and the delivery of nutrients to the joint tissue.
- Decreases Transmission of Pain Signals: The warmth can stimulate the sensory receptors in the skin. And it can also decrease the transmission of the pain signals to the brain.
Heat therapy is not recommended for the following:
- Peripheral vascular disease
- Deep vein thrombosis
- Open wound
- Severe cognitive impairment
Application of Cold to an Arthritic Joint
You can treat painful Arthritis inflammation with a cold compress. This is not only effective but also reasonable. Apply the cold pack or ice for a duration of not more than 20 minutes. You can repeat this process 8 to 10 times throughout the day.
Health Benefits of Cold Therapy
- Slows the Production of Joint Fluid: Synovial joint fluid is essential for a healthy joint. But too much of this fluid can lead to swelling and discomfort.
- Thus, applying a cold compress to a resting joint will slow the production of joint fluid.
- Reduces Inflammation: Since cold causes the blood vessels of the muscles to constrict, it decreases the flow of blood. Thus, reducing inflammation.
- Distracts the Brain from Inflammation: When you cool an inflamed joint, it stimulates sensory receptors in the skin. Therefore, decreasing the transmissions of pain signals to the brain.
Precautions of Cold Therapy/Application
Applying a cold source or ice directly against the skin can injure it. In order to avoid damaging your skin, take the following precautions. Firstly, don’t apply the ice directly to the skin. Make use of a towel or some other protective barrier between the ice and the skin. Moreover, the cold barrier shouldn’t be painful to the skin. Ensure you limit the cold therapy to not more than 15 or 20 minutes at a time. Those who have Raynaud’s syndrome, cold allergic conditions, paralysis or areas of impaired sensation (nerve damage) should avoid cold application.
Other Products Helpful for Knee Pain
In addition to the best knee massager for Arthritis, here a few alternatives or add ons for you to consider. For several years, heating pads, knee braces and compression sleeves are known to provide relief from knee pain and promote blood circulation.
- Helps Sooth Knee Pain: This heating pad from SandPuppy Strappr is creatively designed for heat therapy. It helps in relieving joint pain and knee pain. And also provides relief to your knees.
- Soft Velcro Fabric: This heating wrap is made with soft velcro fabric. Moreover, it is also easy to wrap around. Experience real healing as it soothes the joint aches.
- Wireless: It is a wireless and creatively designed heating pad that works perfectly with USB. And note that it is completely safe to use.
- Method to Use the Strapper: A safe and easy mechanism to soothe your joints is here.
- 1st Step: Simply place this heating pad on the aching joint or muscle. And then strap it around using the wrap band.
- 2nd Step: Once you do this, turn on the controller power switch by pressing hard for 5 seconds.
- 3rd Step: Next, place the USB inside the power bank. The power bank attaches to the product with velcro. Thus, making it totally portable.
- Adjustable Heat Settings: It is equipped with 3 adjustable heat settings. Low heat setting (45 degrees), Medium heat (55 degrees), and high heat (65 degrees).
- All you need to do is long-press the switch to change the heat levels.
- Utmost Comfort: This heating belt is worth purchasing as it offers you utmost comfort from niggling joint aches, knee pain relief. And it relaxes the muscles due to the deep penetrative heat.
- If it is fully charged, then it serves you for an hour without any interruption.
- Price: You can purchase this wireless heating pad from SandPuppy strappr for approximately Rs. 1,300.
Here’s another product for you to consider to relieve knee pain. A knee brace is a health tool for managing the discomfort of knee osteoarthritis. It is capable of taking out the pressure from the part of the joint that’s most affected by Osteoarthritis. In other words, it helps reduce pain by shifting your weight off from the most damaged portion of the knee. Thus, providing you relief from pain.
If you feel that your knee will buckle when you put weight on it. Then a knee brace will help you stand and move around confidently. Various types of knee braces are available here. Consider checking all of these and purchase one that fits your requirements.
Another product helpful for knee pain is a knee compression sleeve. Well, a knee compression sleeve protects the knee from the risk of damage or injury. This extra support comes in handy since our knees are weight-bearing organs. Our knees experience continuous pressure as well as stress including that of workouts.
Further, by providing valuable compression, a knee compression sleeve increases blood flow and reduces pain. Also, your knees will warm up quicker and will stay warm throughout your workout. Furthermore, they help reduce swelling and minimize the pain thus aiding in recovery. Here is a wide variety of knee compression sleeves from which you can make your choice.
Knee Massager FAQs
Yes, a knee massager is very helpful for those suffering from Arthritis. Moreover, a knee massager is beneficial as it provides a sense of relief for those suffering from arthritis pain. It is equipped with vibration therapy, heating function and more.
Yes, a knee massager can fit people with different heights. A good knee massager comes with an adjustable velcro strap. It can thus fit from smaller to bigger size knees. Hence, irrespective of the person’s height. The best thing is that a knee massager can fit a very tall individual with a height of 6.6 ft.
Knee replacement surgery has become increasingly common. However, stiffness is a side effect and is troublesome. The scar tissue caused by surgery will vary from patient to patient. As a matter of fact, this tough fibrous material can limit your range of motion. A knee massager proves useful in breaking down the scar tissue. Thereby improving the recovery process. Moreover, the biggest benefit of a knee massager is that it doesn’t have any known side effects. If used in the right manner.
You can use the knee massager for 1.5 hours daily. Ensure you don’t overuse it. In other words, don’t use it for more than 1.5 hours. Since 1 and a half hour per day is more than enough.
There is no one-size-fits-all answer as to how often you should use a knee massager. However, using a knee massager twice or thrice a week is enough to make a difference.
Say Bye Bye to Stubborn Knee Pain
Purchasing the best knee massager for Arthritis will relieve you from achy knees. I hope you now have a better understanding of knee massagers. Indeed, the best knee massager for Arthritis can help you save time and money and give you the feel of a professional masseur or therapist. Ensure that your knee massager is tight around your knee while using it. Picking the right size and fit that feels comfortable is all you need to do. In addition to this, it should offer the right support for your condition.