Good health is a boon. Unfortunately, most of us in India suffer from joint pains. The most common of all is the knee joint pain. Here, I have penned down some of the best home remedies for knee pain. Consider reading through this entire article as it contains all the beneficial information that you need.
Healthy food and daily exercise are two major contributors to good health. While your family can offer you healthy home-cooked food. Exercise requires self-indulgence. In other words, you need to exercise on a daily basis and can’t afford to be lazy or bored to do so. Exercise can be in the form of going to the gym, playing sports, walking, yoga, aerobics or cardio. The cardio choices include bicycling, running, brisk walking, swimming Each of these activities is possible only if you have healthy joints and muscles. Else the pain aggravates or you get tired too soon.
Since the knee joint is the largest joint in our body, it bears the weight of the entire body. Hence, our knees are more prone to severe pain and injury. Moreover, this unbearable pain can literally bring your life to a standstill. But what causes this severe terrible pain? Firstly, it can be due to obesity or an injury. Secondly, this pain could be the result of an inadequate diet or lack of muscle flexibility. Besides this, other reasons could be loose cartilage or lack of strength. These occur with age and may develop into arthritis, osteoarthritis, osteoporosis or gout.
Don’t worry as knee joint pain is not a forever thing. It can be cured or at least reduced through a change in your intake of food. For instance, consider reducing/stopping junk food and switching over to healthy foods. Additionally, intake of certain herbs will also help. The topical application of suitable substances and suitable exercises are other ways.
Intake of Food
Foods Favourable for Knee Pain
While considering home remedies for knee pain. You need to focus on your eating habits. There are several foods that are favourable for knee pain. Below lie the ones that are sure to help you.
Firstly, consume foods that are rich in Vitamin D, calcium and iron. Vitamin D is a nutrient that’s vital for bone health. As a matter of fact, low levels of Vitamin D leads to increased joint or muscle pain. Amla also known as Indian gooseberry is extremely good for joints and bone health. They contain anti-inflammatory properties which help in reducing the swelling in the joints caused by arthritis. Mushrooms are rich in Vitamin D.
Calcium helps prevent osteoporosis i.e it prevents the loss of bone density. Additionally, it is very effective in reducing joint inflammation and pain, especially in the knee joints. Therefore, consume foods high in calcium such as dark leafy greens, milk, yoghurt and broccoli. Further, grapes and pineapple are good for osteoarthritis. Watermelon hydrates the body and helps in water management levels.
Iron helps in preventing anaemia as it helps to produce haemoglobin. It’s the protein in the red blood cells that carries oxygen throughout the body. Some of the best sources of iron are beans, dark green leafy vegetable mainly spinach, breakfast cereal, lentil and baked potato.
Seeds rich in calcium like flax seeds and walnuts act as natural pain killers.
Methi seeds are also known as Fenugreek. Consider soaking them overnight and crushing them before consuming. Trust me it’s a boon for knee joint pain, especially during winter.
High-fibre foods help in weight loss. Foods such as beans, chick-peas, soybeans and kidney beans are beneficial due to their high fibre content.
Furthermore, anti-oxidants also prove helpful. Foods like blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, fresh red and black grapes as well as soy products are rich in anti-oxidants.
Omega 3 fatty acids can stop inflammation before it damages the joints. Fish like salmon, tuna, sardines, and mackerel are rich in omega 3 fatty acids.
Ginger is well known for its anti-inflammatory properties. You can consume it in the form of ginger-tea or with milk or even raw.
Tulsi is anti-rheumatic and antispasmodic. Therefore, it helps in relieving joint pain and pain associated with arthritis. It can be chewed raw or consumed in the form of Tulsi tea. Many great options for Tulsi Green Teas are available on Amazon
Giloy stems can be chewed as it is. You can also consume it in powder form with warm water. Additionally, giloy capsules and giloy juice are also available.
Foods to be Avoided
Here lie the foods that you need to stay away from. Or, at least try to reduce your intake on these.
- Sugar – Firstly, it contributes to weight gain. Secondly, excess sugar is poisonous. Moreover, it can also trigger the release of cells that increase inflammation.
- Salt – Consumption of salt causes cells to attract water. This, in turn, worsens swelling at the joints. Also, avoid processed and pre-packaged food as they are highly rich in salt. Trans fats and saturated fats can trigger inflammation.
- MSG or Ajinomoto – It’s commonly used in Chinese cooking and can aggravate the inflammation.
- Omega 6 fatty acids – While Omega 3 fatty acids are helpful. Omega 6 fatty acids produce inflammation chemicals. Therefore you should avoid corn and sunflower oil as they are rich in Omega 6 fatty acids.
- Alcohol and tobacco are also undesirable. Avoid drinking and smoking as it can worsen the condition. Men and women who smoke in spite of suffering from knee osteoarthritis sustain greater cartilage loss. Moreover, they face more severe knee pain compared to men and women who don’t smoke.
Related: Best Knee Massager in India
Topical Application on Knee
Sore muscles, pain and inflammation derail the rest of the body. Hence, you need to treat these externally. Some of the substances that can be used for this purpose are
- Mix cayenne pepper and olive oil and massage the affected area with it.
- Take a lime and cut it into two halves. Dip half of the lime in til oil and rub over the affected area for ten minutes. This helps reduce pain. Further, ginger extract and turmeric essential oil when mixed prove useful.
- Massage warm coconut oil over the affected area before sleep.
- When the essential oils are rubbed over the affected area, it produces a very soothing effect.
Essential Oils Effective for Knee Pain
Lavender oil possesses the ability to calm and relax the muscles. Additionally, it rejuvenates and energizes the mind and body. It has been used for long years to reduce pain, depression and anxiety too. You can either inhale it, apply it topically, or add it to warm water while bathing.
Eucalyptus oil provides a cooling effect on your muscles and reduces pain and inflammation. Also, it has a number of anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties. Additionally, it helps in improving circulation. If you’re suffering from Rheumatoid arthritis. Then consider applying this oil topically to the affected area to reduce inflammation and reduce pain.
Rosemary oil eases pain and inflammation as it contains anti-inflammatory and anti-analgesic properties. Moreover, it’s extremely beneficial for those suffering from severe joint pain and sprains. Further, it stimulates blood circulation and aids in coagulation of wounds which in turn fastens the healing process.
Peppermint oil contains menthol. It, therefore, has a cooling effect on sore, achy muscles. Additionally, it has analgesic, antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory properties.
Marjoram oil relaxes muscle spasms and tension. Besides this, it is very helpful in easing pain and inflammation. Additionally, it provides an antioxidant effect that reduces oxidative stress in arthritis patients.
Sandalwood oil alleviates muscle spasm, tension and inflammation. It further proves essential in preventing and treating arthritis. Moreover, it’s an excellent stress buster and anxiolytic agent.
Ginger oil offers a warm, soothing effect on sore muscles which in turn helps relieve pain. Further, it has analgesic and anti-inflammatory effects. Moreover, it helps in reducing pain associated with arthritis.
Black pepper oil alleviates muscle and rheumatic pain by warming up the body. It’s known for analgesic, anti-inflammatory, and anti-oxidant effects. Moreover, the topical application is proven to reduce pain and inflammation. Further, it detoxifies the body.
Clove oil has a warming effect on sore muscles, besides proving essential in toothache, headache and more. It decreases inflammation and prevents the progression of arthritis caused due to oxidative damage.
Arnica oil relieves inflammation and swelling while soothing the skin. Since it helps to boost circulation and speed up the healing process. Moreover, it’s used for the pain and swelling associated with bruises, muscle aches, sprains and arthritis.
Lemongrass oil reduces inflammation and swelling. The citral present in lemongrass oil helps ease the pain as it relieves inflammation. It’s very effective on those suffering from rheumatoid arthritis.
Chamomile oil also known as herbal aspirin gives relief from muscle pain, cramps and treats inflammation. It reduces spasms and helps in soothing muscle tension.
Camphor oil acts as a pain killer and is used to get rid of muscle aches. It has a wide variety of topical uses due to its antibacterial, antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties. Besides this, it’s useful in treating skin problems and improve respiratory function.
Turmeric is also known as Curcumin or Curcuma and is an effective anti-inflammation agent. This turmeric oil modifies immune system responses and is good for rheumatoid arthritis. Turmeric is more effective in preventing joint inflammation.
How to Use the Essential Oils
Caution- While essential oils are a natural way to treat arthritis pain, that does not mean they are safe for everyone to use. Before using an essential oil, one must do a skin patch test to check for any adverse effect. The best way to use it is to apply the oil topically to the area of concern. Firstly, take 2-3 drops of oil. Next, rub the oil into the skin gently. Note that this application needs to be done twice a day.
Also, if you have an existing heart condition or you are on blood pressure medication. Then it would be wise to talk to your doctor before using any essential oil. For that matter, even topically. Below lies an essential oil combo that you should definitely check out.
Essential Oil Combo
This essential oil combo consists of Lemongrass oil, lavender oil, jasmine oil, rose oil, citronella oil, eucalyptus oil, peppermint oil, sandalwood oil, and relaxing oil.
- Provides aromatic use: Essential oils are highly concentrated non-water soluble phytochemicals. They are distilled from different parts of plants.
- Further, they can be distilled from leaves, flowers, roots, and other parts of plants. They’re very potent because of their concentration of phytochemicals.
- Additionally, essential oils can also be diffused into the air. This process is known as Aromatherapy. When the oils are diffused into the air, they provide the necessary benefits once you inhale it.
- Price: Pure Source India 9 in 1 essential oil combo is available approximately for Rs. 575. Hence, you save a lot if you purchase this essential oil combo.
Did you know that some scents can actually improve your health? Besides this, essential oils can also help you relax or sleep. They can further improve your skin or digestion. Thus, their benefits go well beyond a pleasant smell.
Home Made Oil for Knee Pain
Til oil – 100 ml.
Garlic – 75 gms.
Ginger – 75 gms.
Cinnamon sticks – 2 inches.
Cloves – 1/2 tsp.
Bay leaves – 2.
Methi dana – 2tsp.
Ajwain – 3tsp.
Aloe vera – 2-3 pieces.
Bhimseni Kapoor – 1/2 tsp.
Haldi – 1/2 tsp (optional, as it can stain your clothes)
- Heat the Til oil on low flame.
- Add the cloves and cinnamon sticks.
- When it floats, add methi dana, ajwain and bay leaves. Ensure you make pieces of the bay leaves before adding.
- Now add grated garlic and ginger. Then, cook on low flame for 30 minutes.
- Next, add the aloe vera gel.
- After 10-12 minutes, shift the burnt residue. Add Haldi and Bhimseni Kapoor.
- Stop heating it and cool and transfer it in a glass bottle.
The best part is that this oil can be stored. You don’t need to finish it the same day. During winter the oil should be made lukewarm before applying. This oil can be used for joint, muscle and also head pain.
Home Made Poultice for Joint Pain
Soak 3 tablespoons of methi dana in about 1/2 glass of water and leave it overnight. By morning the seeds will absorb all the water. Next, grind the soaked seeds in the form of a paste. Transfer this paste into a vessel. Add a glass of water and cook on slow fire. Keep stirring till all the lumps are removed and the mixture is dry. Stop heating it and cool and store it in a glass bottle. This can be used for a week.
How to use – Remove a considerable quantity of the paste from the bottle. Warm it and then apply this poultice over the knee and secure with a bandage. Leave it overnight.
Exercise for Knee Pain
Role of Exercises in Knee Pain
Among all the joints, the knee joint is very complex. It is also very vulnerable as it does a lot of different movement and also bears the heavyweight of the body. Thus, home remedies for knee pain include exercising too. With use and age knees tend to undergo wear and tear after the age of 40. Therefore it is important to follow an active lifestyle so as to combat knee problems later in life.
Exercise is probably the best medicine/remedy for painful joints. It helps to counter all the risk factors associated with painful joints. Exercise strengthens hamstring and quadriceps muscles of the thigh, decreases stiffness and increases flexibility.
Benefits of Exercise to relieve knee joint pain
- Exercise maintains the joint’s full range of motion.
- It strengthens the muscles that support the joint.
- Strong muscles help the joint to absorb shock.
Simple Exercises for Relieving Knee Joint Pain
Low impact exercises are the best for knee joint pain. They minimize stress on the joint as they increase their flexibility and strength.
- Put a bolster or a rolled towel beneath your thighs. Just raise the lower part of one leg ( below the knee ) and point the toes towards your face. Now repeat the same with the other leg. Do 5 times with each leg.
- Lie flat with back on the floor, arms at sides and toes up. Keep your leg straight, tighten your leg muscles and slowly lift your leg several inches up. Tighten your stomach muscles to push your lower back down. Hold and count to 5 then lower your leg as slowly as possible. Repeat and then switch over to the other leg.
- Sit on the chair. Massage the knee with warm oil. Keep toes raised up and heel touching the floor. Now with the sides of both the palms rub the knee cap in an in and out motion. Do this for 5-10 minutes and then switch to the other knee.
Other Precautionary Measures
- Be conscious of your weight. Weight gain can aggravate the problem.
- Avoid prolonged sitting and long periods without moving.
- Don’t use low chairs and couches. Wear supporting shoes. Avoid heels for long periods.
- Give rest to the affected area.
- Elevate the affected area to reduce strain.
- If there is swelling or inflammation, wrap ice in a cloth and rub over the affected area.
- Wear compression bandage with knee support to increase the comfort level. The support or bandage should be firm but not tight.
Also, consider purchasing the best knee massager in India to relieve knee pain and arthritis. Also, if you experience severe foot pain often. Then read 7 home remedies to relieve foot pain. These remedies are sure to help you if followed properly.